The World’s Ancient Cultures in Danger Map is a poster-sized wall-map for the classroom. This unique teaching tool graphically illustrates ancient cultures of the world, and the fact that these cultures are endangered by looting and the illicit antiquities trade. The map is the first—and core—component of our Give History a Future initiative: an educational program that illustrates the importance, relevance, and vulnerability of the world’s cultural heritage—and the need to preserve the endangered sites and monuments for future generations. Created by SAFE with leading designers, archaeologists and educators, the map is available for purchase here.
Give history a future explains how ancient objects constitute building blocks of human history and instills the idea from an early age that the information that ancient objects impart is even more valuable than the object’s beauty, or monetary value. It comprises a unique set of materials that employ traditional and new media to teach students at various grade levels:
- Regional/national Ancient Cultures in Danger wall maps that on the problems specific regions or nations face.
- Interactive, online maps that explain threatened antiquities.
- A teacher’s guide provides tools that deliver basic knowledge to students so they can become future stewards—not destroyers—of our shared cultural heritage.
- Children’s books with a positive message that illustrate the importance of antiquities and their preservation.
- Engaging, interactive computer games that teache players how to help preserve our heritage.
- An online, interactive demonstration that illustrates the meaning of archaeological context and why the looting of archeological sites robs us of important information about the past.
- Lesson plans that comply with several NCSS and NCHE standards and teach the meaning of cultural heritage in an accessible and memorable way.
- Essay competitions in which students submit research essays or short stories about the importance of preserving cultural heritage.
We welcome your suggestions and the opportunity to work with you. Please contact us for more information and if you would like to be a part of Give History a Future. SAFE received a grant from the Puffin Foundation towards the production of the map. In order to continue this important work, SAFE needs your continued support.